7-Up cake: A delicious sugary pound cake was my family’s summer special occasion cake. It’s easy to make and only requires a glaze if you want to gild the lily. 7-Up cake isn’t something that I can give up. Luckily this solid pound cake easily adapted to being gluten free. Cup4Cup‘s gluten free flour blend is perfect in this recipe. I love using it when baking for friends and family as I’m know they won’t realize the treat is gluten free.
Our family’s 7-Up cake recipe is written on a long forgotten company’s notepad with a 1960’s circle pattern. I suspect our recipe came north with my paternal grandmother as she was a southern lady. It’s easy enough to know the recipe by heart but I do love glancing at the pencil scribbled recipe when I am at home. It makes me remember years of family celebrations with 7-Up cake. I’m also lucky enough to have my maternal mother’s bundt cake pan to bake in it. The heavy aluminum pan helps to hold the heat and gives the cake a crunchy crust. Sometimes similar pans can be found on ebay. The hardest part of making this recipe is waiting until the cake is cool enough to cut. To get an early taste, I nibble at the crumbs that fall off when inverting the cake to cool. Serve it for dessert with a few strawberries or my favorite way-just plain for breakfast.
The name 7-Up cake doesn’t describe how delicious such a simple cake can be.
- 3 cups sugar
- 3/4 lb butter softened to room temperature
- 5 large eggs room temp.
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 3 cups flour (I use gluten free Cup4Cup flour)
- 3/4 cup 7-Up
- Heat oven to 325 degrees
- Thoroughly grease and flour heavy 9qt bundt pan
- With a mixer cream together butter and sugar for 20 minutes. Yes 20 mins-use a stand mixer!
- Add in one egg at a time beating between all five
- Add lemon extract
- Add in one cup of flour at a time beating between cups
- Add in 7-Up just to combine
- Pour into prepared bundt pan
- Bake for 1 hr + until tester comes out clean and cake is golden brown
- Cool inverted on a wire rack for at least 10 mins, then remove pan
- Let fully cool before serving