I keep making nut mixes. This might be because with are taking a ton of road trips this summer. Nuts are a great snack to throw a few in your mouth as you are cruising down the highway. It also means that I’m not making bad decisions for lunch on the road. I can survive a bit longer with some nuts in my stomach.
These BBQ Nuts satisfy my hankering for BBQ chips-sure it’s not the same but it’s a good substitute. They’re a great bit of protein and fat with an addictive smokey BBQ flavor. Meyer and I scarfed down these three cups of nuts in less than a week of making them. Ya, maybe that wasn’t the best idea. But man, they were tasty! I’ll be making another batch of these in a few days. Another road trip calls for another supply of delicious nuts.
I like how you can control the seasonings that go into your own roasted nut blends. I can control the flavoring and make sure there’s no food starch or any preservatives in it. Making sure that the nuts are gluten free. This also means that I can control the amount and kind of salt I’m using-like sea salt in this recipe. Yippee. I love that!
For this recipe I used some premixed chili seasoning, a bit of smoked paprika, and sea salt. The smoked paprika gives the chili blend a bit of a bump in flavor. If you like a hotter mix, you could add an 1/8th of a teaspoon of cayenne for a little more heat.
I added a 2 tablespoons cup of olive oil to the blend before pouring it over a mix of raw nuts. Roast them for half an hour stirring frequently until the cashews are golden brown and you can smell the seasoning blend. Just keep watching the nuts you don’t want to burn them! Tip: Buy your nuts in bulk if you’re going to make lots of blends. We get ours at Costco.
- 3 cups of mixed nuts
- 2 tsp chili powder blend (like Penzey's)
- 1/4 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper (if you'd like it hot)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 with a rack in the middle.
- Spread the nuts on a prepared baking sheet. I use a silapat or you could use parchment paper.
- Mix together the spices and salt.
- Add in olive oil to spices and mix throughly.
- Pour mixture over nuts and use your hands to coat all the nuts.
- Roast nuts in oven for 1/2 an hour stirring every 7 mins or so.
- The nuts are finished once the cashews are golden brown.