Thanksgiving is right around the corner! Holiday meals can also be a disaster for those on a gluten free diet when you have travel to someone else’s home. How to do you control what other people use in their own cooking? I’m dealing with this problem this Thanksgiving. Sometimes it’s best just to call the hostess before hand and explain your dietary needs. Other times it’s easier to just bring your own meal. Luckily, our extended family is very sensitive to my needs. We’re ordering a smoked turkey breast (one that we’ve checked is gluten free) and I’m making to sides to share. I’m sending a store bought gluten free dessert to share with the rest of the family. That way I don’t feel so deprived when the pumpkin pie gets sliced. Not only are we having a somewhat gluten free Thanksgiving but we also have a vegetarian in our midst. So my side dishes are going to be gluten free and veggie friendly like this cinnamon roasted winter squash.
Roasted winter squash is one of the easiest side dishes. It’s the perfect side to bring as a guest to a Thanksgiving feast or as an easy additional side to your own holiday meal. I’ve found that just a sprinkle of cinnamon makes squash really sing in flavor. It’s simple ingredients that make this dish so wonderful: fresh squash, cinnamon, olive oil, and salt that’s it. Crank up the oven and let these winter squash slices roast. You won’t be disappointed with the results. Not only will your house smell divine but the squash is delicious. So sweet that you will think you added sugar but none is needed with the natural sugars of the squash coming out in the high heat of the oven.
- 1lb of winter squash (I used 1/2 a 2lb red kabocha)
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp of kosher salt
- Heat oven to 400 degrees with a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Slice the squash into half moons.
- Lay the slices out on a silpat or a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle olive oil, then cinnamon and salt over squash slices.
- Using your hands rub the slices so they are covered with cinnamon and salt on both sides.
- Place in oven and cook for 20-30 minuets until roasted. They should have slightly browned edges and be very soft to touch.