Dates are a delicious treat serving up quite the punch of natural sugar. I’ll sneak a few while scrounging for ingredients in our pantry in the late afternoon as a treat. When I was little, there were only two ways that I ate dates in my mother’s fruit cake (which I still love!) or in date and nut loaf. The loaf came in can like cranberry sauce. It was a rare treat that my father would try to polish off before the rest of the family could even have a taste. Our favorite way to eat it was in slices sandwiched together with tart cream cheese. My mouth purses thinking about the tartness of the cream cheese with the overly sweet date bread. Once in a while I even was allowed to take it for lunch to school. I loved that stuff. However, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t remotely healthy. Now I’m enjoying dates more often in healthier ways. For some ideas on how to use dates in your own cooking check out all these gluten free date recipes.
- This Paleo Date and Walnut Bread might not be the one of my childhood but it sounds tasty!
- Whole Food’s Gluten Free Carrot and Date Muffins would be a perfect breakfast treat.
- This savory Kale Salad with Dates, Parmesan, and Almonds makes my mouth water.
- No Bake Vegan Date Bars are an easy, simple, and healthy dessert.
- A classic recipe of Bacon Wrapped Dates would be perfect for a party appetizer.
- I’d keep a few of these Cashew Cardamom Date Balls in my purse to snack on.
- How can you resist Vegan Caramel Clusters?
- This Roasted Cauliflower with Medjool Dates and Olives might have to be on the menu for dinner tonight.