I love a big bowl of soup for lunch. Thick pureed vegetable soups are a perfect winter day’s meal. This Four Ingredient Butternut Squash Soup is so simple that I pulled it together while making breakfast one day. I like to have the makings of a soup on hand or at least be able to pull together some vegetables in the house to purée into a soup. The key to velvety soft puréed soup is to use a high speed blender. My Vitamix is the perfect tool to get this perfectly creamy and soft texture without adding any cream. It might be a bit ironic that the day I decided to make this soup the weather took an upswing and it was 55 degrees out. But hey I that desire for a warm bowl of soup and that’s all that matters.
Ok, I think I might have lied. I used a few more than four ingredients for this soup. Maybe I didn’t count the cinnamon or the salt. But do pantry spices really count? I’m not sure they do. It’s really such a simple soup that all it takes is a few vegetables and some stock. Use homemade stock if you have it. I used vegetable stock as a vegetarian friend is coming for a visit.
Easy and pretty quick are key in my life especially around lunch. I can go from not hungry to FEED ME NOW in an instant. Soup that only takes about a half hour on the stove is perfect. I can survive a half hour of a grumbling stomach. A bowl of warm soup fills me up nicely but doesn’t make me feel stuffed as if I’ve devoured leftovers. I’m sure I’ll be making many batches of vegetable purée soups this winter. The possibilities are endless. This is especially true with garnishes. A few different sprinkles and you find yourself eating an entirely different bowl of soup. I garnished this bowl with roasted pumpkin seeds and a swirl of maple vanilla yogurt. Delish!
- 1.5 lbs butternut squash seeded, peeled, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 1 large white onion roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 32oz Vegetable stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil or olive oil
- salt to taste
- Add the oil to a large stock pot and turn on medium high heat.
- Add the butternut squash, garlic, onions, and cinnamon to the pot and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Keep turning with a spoon until the onions start to sweat and turn transparent.
- Add the stock and turn heat to medium low.
- Cook for approximately 1/2 hour until the squash is very tender and almost dissolving.
- Remove the cinnamon stick.
- In batches fill your high speed blender about 1/2 way with stock and the vegetable mixture. Remember to pop the center lid to let the steam out but cover the entire top with a towel. Purée starting out slowly and ramping up the blender on manual until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour blended soup into another container and continue with the rest of the vegetables.
- Once all soup is blended season according to taste.
- Serve with roasted pumpkin seeds and a swirl of yogurt if you'd like.