Do I really dare to talk about Christmas cookies on December 5th? Well, yes as I’m starting to get panicked about all that needs to get ready for the holidays! Christmas cookies are almost integral to Christmas in my opinion. My mother used to participate in a cookie exchange when we were children. I still remember the flimsy paper plates covered in saran wrap that would show up after school near to Christmas. There was a always a Neapolitan tri-colored cake, little almond drop cookies with candied cherries on top and my favorite chocolate florentines. One woman’s specialty was chocolate chip cookies. I’m not sure what her secret was but they were the most amazing chocolate chip cookies-not too flattened, not to chewy, and not too brittle. She certainly had a talent. As I grew older I learned about other families’ traditional Christmas cookies. Some swore by a snickerdoodle. However, one of the most delicious cookies I didn’t learn about until college. That amazingly delicious cookie was a powdered sugar chocolate chip cookie. I’ve now heard of them called snowball cookies. I’ll be sure to work on a version of chocolate chip snowball cookies for this holiday season. I can’t guarantee that they’ll stick around our kitchen long enough to be photographed.
Note that you can really make any of your favorite cookies gluten free by substituting Cup4Cup for the wheat flour. That’s what I do lots of times. But here’s a Gluten Free Christmas Cookie Recipe Roundup for some more ideas to fill Santa’s plate.
- Chai Spiced Snowball Cookies combine the spice of the holidays with the fun of a powdered sugar snowball.
- Chocolate Brownie Cookies sound so delicious no one will ever think to ask if they are gluten free.
- What’s more perfect than a gluten free rift on Coconut Macaroons that includes deep dark chocolate melted in the center?
- These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies might be my favorite standard GF cookie. It also makes a great breakfast on the road.
- I’ll be playing around with these Paleo Star Cookies made with almond flour, coconut oil, and honey.
- These simple Peanut Butter Cookies from Whole Foods Market requires no flour at all just a few ingredients plus gooey peanut butter.
- Pistachio Coconut Truffles would be an easy to make no bake chocolate treat.
- My all time favorite cookies Florentines. This simple recipe comes from Yotam Ottolenghi via David Lebovitz.