I’m not sure if you’ve noticed this Raspberry Ricotta Cake from Bon Appétit has gone viral on the web but I certainly have. I’ve seen so many instagramers making this delicious looking cake. Well, I couldn’t resist getting in on the action. Of course I had to make it gluten free. I couldn’t make it for friends and not be able to taste it myself! But substituting wheat flour with Cup 4 Cup makes gluten free baking a breeze.
Let me tell you the smell of this cake is amazing! It’s spring in a cake. That raspberry scent drifts through your house while it bakes in the oven. Yum. I followed the directions and used frozen ones but I’m sure it would be irritable made in the summer with fresh berries. A whole stick of butter isn’t my usual baking choice but in this cake it’s worth it. I’m also amazed how the ricotta cheese just blends into the cake batter to make a light spongy cake. I’m not one for cheese cakes so I took a chance on what the consistency of this one would be with so much ricotta. I’m pleased to say it really was unnoticeable. The fresh cheese just makes the cake moist with a soft crumb. I’m betting you could substitute a fresh farmer’s cheese for the ricotta. The tartness of farmer’s cheese would compliment the sweetness of the cake so well. I splurged and added a few more berries than the original recipe-I think up to 2 cups would be delicious in it. You might want to think about using a sprinkle of flour on the berries to try to keep them suspended within the cake batter as mine all seemed to rise to the top of the cake. One more note is I think the zest of one lemon would be a fabulous added layer of flavor to the cake. Maybe it would be a nice surprise if you start to make this cake often. I could so see this becoming a weekend staple in our house! Bon Appétit says it would make a perfect breakfast cake or I bet a tasty treat on a spring evening. Either way I’m having a hard time resisting eating more than one piece.
- 1½ C gluten free flour (I love Cup 4 Cup)
- 1 C sugar
- 2 Tsp baking powder
- ¾ Tsp kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ C ricotta cheese (part skim)
- ½ Tsp vanilla extract
- ½ C (1 stick or 8 tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ C frozen raspberries or blackberries, divided
- additional butter and parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9" springform or cake pan with the additional butter and line with parchment.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, ricotta, and vanilla, folding until smooth.
- Then gently fold into dry ingredients just until mixed.
- When combined then fold in the melted butter, followed by 1C frozen raspberries.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and sprinkle remaining ½ cup raspberries on top.
- Bake cake until golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean,60-65 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes before unmolding.