Recently, I had the chance to test out Cup4Cup‘s new Wholesome Vanilla Cake Mix. We had spotted it in Williams-Sonoma a few weeks prior and decided to put a bag in our pantry to wait for the perfect opportunity to bake. I find it nice to have an easy delicious baking mix at your finger tips. Well, the perfect opportunity to bake up some cupcakes came when a friend joined us for dinner on her birthday a few weeks ago.
I decided to use the mix for cupcakes instead of two cake rounds as it’s easier to share cupcakes with friends. It’s also a great way to portion control dessert. Since I’m partial to chocolate, I couldn’t resist adding some Enjoy Life Foods mini chocolate chips to the batter. Their mini chips are the perfect size to add to cupcakes.
The Cup4Cup wholesome vanilla cake mix baked up some delicious cupcakes. It’s easy to make as all you need to add is an egg and some oil. I used coconut oil which made them moist with just a hint of coconut flavor. I also used silicone baking cups to make removing the cupcakes super easy from the cupcake pan. It also made them quite festive with their bright colors! I iced the cupcakes with vanilla and chocolate buttercream frosting. Homemade buttercream frosting is so simple to make and delicious. I love it. For the chocolate frosting, I added in a few tablespoons of freshly brewed coffee as I find it adds a great depth to the taste of the chocolate while the vanilla frosting was simply a bit of vanilla extract added to the butter and powdered sugar.
Our birthday girl exclaimed she couldn’t tell Cup4Cup’s wholesome vanilla cake mix was gluten free! That’s the best compliment I can think of. I’d say that the wholesome blend makes a bit denser cake than the regular Cup4Cup flour but there was no difference in flavor nor any off putting texture to the cake. As the mix made twenty four cupcakes I certainly had enough to share with lots of friends. But that makes baking all the better. I’ll certainly keep a bag of this mix in my pantry just for those moments when following a recipe might be a bit too much work but I still want to make a delicious gluten free cake. It’s the perfect mix!
- 8 tablespoons of room temperature unsalted butter (I love Kerry Gold brand)
- 4 cups powdered sugar (more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk (more to thin)
- Cream the butter and vanilla extract until they are light and fluffy. I use a fork but you can make quick work of this with an electric hand mixer.
- Then begin adding in the powdered sugar half a cup at a time.
- Look for a slightly stiff icing that holds a peak.
- If needed add a tablespoon of milk to soften the icing or more powdered sugar to stiffen it.
- Spread the icing on the cupcakes in a swirled pattern or you can use a plastic bag with the corner cut off to pipe the icing on to the cupcakes.