I think of broccoli as the white bread of the green vegetable world. You’re likely to have 80% of your dinner guests fine with eating broccoli. Sure there’s one or two who has some childhood aversion to it but most people will eat broccoli. I find myself getting more and more creative with what I do with my vegetables. I used to just steam them or sautee them and be done with it. Now days I put almost more effort into my vegetables than into the meat I cook. This roasted broccoli with anchovies, capers, and almonds is one example of me going off the deep end with my vegetables.
Really, this recipe came to be off of a rift of a favorite pasta dish. It’s a what I’d call vegetarian dish with broccoli, anchovies, garlic, capers, and parmesan but I know lots of vegetarians wouldn’t agree with me. Anchovies are like a dirty little secret. If you use them correctly no one will ever know they are an ingredient they’ll just enjoy the depth of flavor in the dish.
My Cuisinart Mini-Prep is also my best friend for dishes like this. All I need to do is throw the anchovies, garlic cloves, and capers in then hit a button and whiz it’s a smooth paste. That’s pretty great. I want the flavor of the anchovies and the garlic but I don’t want to know I’m eating either of them. I’m not sure if Meyer knew what I put in this broccoli recipe but I do know that he loved it. I added some currants to my portion at the last minute. Sometimes I think that a little sweetness balances out savory and salty flavors but Meyer on the other hand doesn’t like fruit in savory dishes so I left them out on his. Feel free to do what you like with the currants. You could even soak them in a bit of vinegar or sherry to give the dish a punch more flavor. As a note, I didn’t use any other salt than the anchovies and capers. It was plenty salty for my tastebuds but add salt to taste at the end if you think it needs an extra punch.
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 can of anchovy filets in oil
- 1 small bottle of capers or approximately a 1/4 cup
- 4-6 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 a bunch of italian parsley, chop 1/2 of the amount
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup of roasted almonds, smashed
- 1/4 cup of raisins or currants if you'd like
- Break down broccoli head into bite sized florets. Cut up the stem as well.
- Add the anchovy filets and oil, 1/2 the amount of capers, and garlic cloves to a Cuisinart Mini-Prep.
- Whirl until all is combined and chopped. Add in 1/2 the amount of italian parsley and let it whirl until chopped evenly.
- Add olive oil to heavy bottomed pan and heat over medium high heat.
- Add in broccoli and cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli lightly softens and has caramelized roasted marks on it.
- Add in the anchovy mixture, stirring thoroughly to coat the broccoli.
- Cook for about 2 more minutes as you want to cook the garlic but not burn it.
- Add in the remaining capers, chopped parsley, and raisins if using them.
- Serve with a garnish of roasted almonds.