It’s almost the Kentucky Derby! I do love watching this race on the television. I remember watching it as a kid while my parents got dressed for a party. I can’t tell you if it was only one year that they went out that night or if it was every year but I’ll always associate the Derby with getting dressed up. It’s such a fun event to celebrate with friends. Why not throw your own Derby party? Southern food is the bees knees to me and the perfect foil for celebrating the races. I’m already dreaming of a mint julep full of crushed ice and some potato chips dipped in pimento cheese. So go buy some bourbon and bacon and a few other provisions. Your friends will certainly enjoy these tasty treats while sipping on mint juleps in front of the television. And don’t forget to wear your finest pastel colors and some beautiful hats for the ladies while you’re at it. The derby is such a fun event to celebrate in style!
- These Brown Sugar & Brown Butter Pecans would be an addictive snack perfect for the Derby.
- You can’t celebrate the Kentucky Derby without a classic Mint Julep.
- These bacon and cheese deviled eggs sound delicious!
- For a fun and refreshing rift on a mint julep try this sorbet.
- A perfect little sweet treat for a Derby party would be these Kentucky Bourbon Balls.
- For a snack that’s unusual but a traditional Louisville treat tasty try this Benedictine Spread. With cream cheese and cucumbers it would be perfect spread on a cracker or on celery.
- Sean Brock’s recipe for Pimento Cheese is the perfect spread for the races. Though, I’m happy to eat pimento cheese any day!
- What could be more Southern than Quick Pickled Shrimp?