Yesterday, I had no brain about me when I went to the supermarket. I needed to grab a quick dinner for that night so I picked up a rotisserie chicken and some salad. But what I was really thinking about was that burger from HG Sply Co in Dallas. I’ve got to play around with that meal in my kitchen so I can post my own version of it here on the blog. I’m thinking of doing a lamb burger but that is still up in the air. In any case, I tried (while at the supermarket with no list) to pull together the ingredients for a couple nights of meals so that we can cobble through a few dinners before making our way back to the supermarket. Silly me forgot that Meyer can eat a giant container of salad in one night! I only picked up salad fixings for one night….so that means I’ll be back at the supermarket this afternoon.
What I wanted, was a meal that wouldn’t keep me in the kitchen but would be ready for an early dinner. I had picked up a bottom round roast which is perfect for braising when thinking of making a beef mushroom soup or a wine braised stew. However, both of those required other ingredients not found in the house. So instead I came up with this slow cooker chili braised beef. I’d usually throw a meal like this into the oven but today I don’t have enough time to watch a pot. So instead the slow cooker sits on the counter to do all the heavy work. To prep: I cut the beef into inch pieces to make it cook a bit faster, seared it, and then added in three chipotle chili in adobo and a small can of diced tomatoes with green chili to the slow cooker. I set it on high as I decided all this midday instead of early in the morning. This slower cooker chili braised beef is a perfect easy meal that satisfies my craving for spicy food. It’ll be the perfect topping for crunchy romaine lettuce with a side of guacamole and a bit of grated cheddar cheese. Yum.
- 3lb bottom chuck roast, cut into inch cubes
- 1 small can of petit diced tomatoes with green chili
- 2-4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 TBSP Coconut Oil
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a sauté pan over medium high heat, adding in the coconut oil once it reaches temperature.
- Add in cubed beef in two batches, making sure not to over crowd the pan. Try to get a nice sear on each side of each cube of beef. Taking 1 min per side.
- When all meat is seared add it to the slow cooker with a tbsp of salt.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and the chipotle peppers, stir to combine.
- Set slow cooker on high for at least 4 hours and on low for 8 hours.
- When finished you may remove the beef and boil the sauce over a medium high heat on the stove to reduce it into a thicker sauce.
- Serve shredded braised beef over shredded romaine lettuce with guacamole and shredded cheddar cheese.