I’m craving Tex-Mex. Unfortunately, right now Meyer and I are cutting out carbs. I’m amazed with the results. Not just on the scale, but also in how I feel. I feel so much cleaner taking out grains from my diet. I knew after going gluten free I could deal with taking things out of my diet but taking out all grains has been interesting. I do miss rice a bit but I want to wait and strategically introduce it back to make sure I don’t have any allergies or issues to it. I’m wondering if there’s a grain or psuedo-grain that I ate on a daily basis that bothered me. That’s probably a post for the fall but for now, let’s get back to Tex-Mex
Since we aren’t eating corn or beans for that matter, I thought I’d make a Tex-Mex salad full of grilled meat, grilled peppers and onions, lettuce, tomatoes, and topped with avocado and my favorite stand-in for sour cream-low fat greek yogurt. I decided to keep most of the fixings separated so everyone could add in what they like.
This is an easy meal to make on a busy night. The meat and the peppers can be grille the night before. This saves time and allows the peppers to cool before peeling off their skins. The poblano peppers turned out to have a bit more heat than I expected so I left then to the side as well. I’m thinking I might add the leftovers to scrambled eggs for a delicious breakfast treat tomorrow.
A simple dressing of lime juice, cumin, oregano, salt, and olive oil was all this salad needed as there was also the salsa fresca and the yogurt.I love medium rare steak and this strip steak was perfectly cooked. The chicken was a great addition as well. Two meat options means we covered everyone’s taste. At it’s core, this salad contains grilled meat, grilled peppers, lots of crunchy lettuce and a fresh citrus dressing. It’s a recipe that will certainly adapt to many situations. Depending on who’s eating it I might add corn, black beans, a few crunchy tortillas, a bowl of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, or maybe even some pickled jalapeños.
- 1 lb strip steak
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 hearts of romaine
- 2 bell peppers (any color), cored and deseeded
- 3 poblano peppers, cored and deseeded
- 2 large white onions, peeled and sliced in half
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into cubes
- 1 cup salsa fresca
- 1 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 limes juiced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Grill steak and chicken according to your grill, let rest after cooking
- Oil peppers and onions, grill for approximately 5 mins per side or until skin on peppers has blacked
- Set vegetables aside to cool
- Chop romaine into bite sided pieces
- Chop peppers and onions into slivers
- Roughly chop cilantro and add to lettuce
- Combine vegetables with lettuce in large bowl, toss
- Slice meat and arrange on top of salad
- Add salsa, avocado, poblanos, and yogurt to top of salad if serving all together. If not then serve each in small bowls on table.
- Serve with Lime Cumin Dressing (Combine all ingredients in a jar)